The June 2009 issue of The ECF Update, our quarterly newsletter, is now being distributed to ECF members. If you believe cougars should be re-established in suitable habitat in the Midwest and East and that recovering populations at the western edge of the Great Plains should be managed sustainably, please support us by becoming a member or with your donations. Your contributions will be gratefully accepted.
Here are the contents:
- “Big Guy” Killed by Poachers in Black Hills … Page 2
- River Cat (A young male panther leaves his birthplace in southern Florida looking for a territory of his own. Will he find it?) by Stephen Williams … Page 3
- Females are the Key to Potential Cougar Colonization by Helen McGinnis … Page 5
- South Dakota Commission Proposes Increase in Cougar Hunting Quota by Helen McGinnis & John Laundre’ … Page 7
- South Dakota Hunters Concerned That Cougars May be Impacting Deer & Elk Populations by John Laundre’… Page 8
- Study of Food Habits on Dakota Prairies Finds No Livestock … Page 10
- North Dakota Update … Page 11
- More News from the Blank Space (Cypress Hills, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Wisconsin) …Page 12
- News of the ECF .. Page 13
- DVD and Book Reviews (Lords of Nature, The Ghost Walker) … Page 14
The March 2009 issue of the Update can now be downloaded from the Newsletters column of our website.